Saturday, July 6, 2019

Christmas in July 2019 - Day Six


Another specialty upcycle topic today - book pages.  I've never made anything with book pages but I received the most unique gift made from book pages - this pine cone:


It was a gift from my friend Jodie in 2012.  I can remember opening it and thinking what an amazing idea it was to use pages from a book in this way, overlapping to form the scales (thank you, Wikipedia, because I was struggling to remember what you call those parts of a pine cone!).  I put it to one side in the hub-bub of Christmas morning and when I picked it up later to have a really good look, I realized just how unique it was.  My former blog was named after a quote from Jane Austen's Emma, "When Good People Get Together".  The ribbon at the top of the pine cone was made from a slip of paper with that quote on it.  On closer inspection, I realized that the pages were from the book as well.  How special is that?  We were having a conversation on one of the Christmas threads the other day about regifting and how that can be avoiding by making sure that you know the person to whom you are giving a gift and knowing their tastes and interests.  This is a perfect example.  Jodie knows I love Christmas and to make something so personalized just astounded me.  I will treasure it always.

3 comments:

  1. I love that! Personalized in such a special way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that pinecone! you received a wonderful gift

    ReplyDelete