Thursday, July 9, 2015

Christmas in July 2015 - Day Nine

Le pièce de résistance - the tree!

Retro Renovation
This is the tree we had for about the first ten years of my life - silver tinsel, each branch stored in a paper cover (provided you slipped it in in the right direction so that the springy-out parts folded up around the metal rod). I don't remember what color our bulbs were - will have to see if I can find a (color!) photo.

Shiny Brite ornaments were all the rage in the 50s and 60s and even a little after that. I don't know if we had Shiny Brites or not; how I wish I had saved a box of the decorations my parents used when I was little.

SZInteriors gives us great history on Shiny Brite ornaments

6 comments:

  1. I remember those... space age! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these trees. We had one at the little country school I attended from 4th-8th grade. It was a huge treat to be chosen to put it up and take it down...you had to get those papers just right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandparents always used the ornaments like this. Such great memories of their tree and Christmas time with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the tree! I still have a few of the Shiny Brite ornaments ... handed down from a great-aunt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that tree!! I would love to have a vintage silver tree again. I do have a box of shiny brites though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I knew what happened to the Shiny Brites my mom used to have! But then she'd cover the entire tree in tinsel so it really didn't matter if there were ornaments on it or not - it just looked like a big silver teepee in the corner!

    ReplyDelete