Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Wednesday Hodgepodge - Volume 226


1. On Saturday July 4th America celebrates her Independence. (If you're not American,  feel free to answer in terms of a national holiday in your own country) What is your favorite thing about the day? Your favorite food on the 4th? Do you fly a flag at your house? Fireworks - yay or nay? Any special plans this year?

My favorite thing about July 4th is the abundance of red, white, and blue adorning everything in sight. From flags to bunting to home decor to food, it's an explosion of patriotism. My favorite food would have to be anything barbecued - July 4th just screams backyard cooking - burgers, hot dogs, steaks, and all the sides to go with it - salads, baked beans, corn on the cob, and of course, watermelon. We have always flown a flag although this year, we opted to hang a resin flag as we are in a rental house and there isn't a place for a flag pole. Fireworks, I have mixed opinions. I love organized firework displays but I love to watch them from afar such as up on a hill for a great view. MudLynn does not like fireworks so in recent years, we have opted to watch fireworks from New York or Washington DC on television so that we are home with her. I've also become more aware recently of a campaign to make people more considerate of their neighbors who may be PTSD suffers and I've always been against neighborhood fireworks just from a safety standpoint.

Our special plans are just to enjoy the weekend as a family - Vic's been gone, Sophia's been gone, and they'll be gone again soon so we're taking the weekend to just chill at home. We had planned to go away but the hotel we were planning to visit does not have air conditioning and some ridiculously high (for this area) temperatures are heading our way so we're sticking close to home.

2. What's something you recently got for free?

More of an upgrade that free - I recently took advantage of a buy two mascaras, get one free offer at Nordstrom but since they didn't have a third tube in the color I wanted, the Dior assistant gave me a lash primer instead. Does that count?

3.  The Statue of Liberty, The Liberty Bell, The Washington Monument, or Mount Rushmore...how many on the list have you seen? What is your favorite historical American monument, and why?

I have been to all four and they each have a special memory but I think that the most special aspect of them relates to my husband. He is not an American by birth and he has often said, when we visit a historical monument, that being there was something he never thought would happen. He had seen the monuments in history books, but never actually thought that he would one day visit them.

We took our French exchange student to New York City in 2010 and visited the Statue of Liberty which was an amazing trip for all of us. She was especially touched that we planned this special weekend for her. We saw the Liberty Bell during our visit to Philadelphia in 2007, and the Washington Monument during a trip to Washington DC in 2005 after Vic returned from a long deployment. Mount Rushmore was our most recent visit, during our coast to coast move last summer.

4. When it comes to the news are you more ostrich (stick my head in the sand) or hog (they have room to take a whole lot in)? How much attention have you given the recent news reports regarding ISIS and the acts of terror they've perpetrated against those who do not share their beliefs or support their cause?

I'm a bit of hog, I suppose. I keep up with what's going on at home and abroad. I pay a great deal of attention to what's happening with ISIS. I am appalled by the distortion of the Islamic faith by these fanatics. As a military family, we need to be conscious of our country's enemies and what they are doing and where. We need to be aware of our personal security (PERSEC) and be vigilant about operational security (OPSEC) (not giving out details of where our sailors are going or when). I also celebrate Vic's returns rather than advertising that he'll be gone between this date and that date. Common sense really.

My heart breaks for the tragic victims of the latest atrocity in Tunisia.

5. We're talking plain ice cream...vanilla, chocolate, or strawberry? Choose one.

Strawberry, with little chunks, not too big, of the fruit in it.

6. Share a song you love containing the word 'stars' in the lyrics or title?

God Bless the USA by Lee Greenwood - it plays at every homecoming as the ship approaches the pier - I cry every time I hear it. "I thank my lucky stars" is in the second stanza.



7. Describe and/or say goodbye to June with an acrostic.

Joyous reunion with Vic

Uncomfortably higher than normal temperatures and no air conditioning

Nervous about my new job

Excited because I'm looking forward to it, too!

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

I love to plan and we're looking ahead to some time apart and then another joyous reunion. We'd like to take a family vacation to celebrate (the latter, not the former). Where would you go - Alaskan cruise, Hawaii, Walt Disney World, or San Francisco?

7 comments:

  1. Any of those spots sound grand to me. I'd like to see Alaska, and have never been to San Fran so they are definitely on my list. If my girls were able to join us I'd pick Disney though-we haven't been in years. I lived in Hawaii once upon a time, and now live on the East Coast so that's a long way to go for a tropical holiday. We love the Caribbean and its easier on the body clock from our side of the country : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been, but would choose Alaska in a minute! Hope wherever you go is just the perfect trip for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have several friends who have been without AC for a couple of days to two weeks. I could NOT do that. I would have had to check into a motel. LOL Alaska wins my vote! Hands down! Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I vote going to Hawaii, though the Alaskan cruise sounds like fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I have been to all 4 places and Alaska would be my choice. We went 8 years ago and it was absolutely fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Hodgepodge. I think I'd opt for San Francisco although an Alaskan cruise in the summer might be ok. My daughter did a uni term in Alaska from Sep through to Dec (she was home for Christmas). This is someone who does not usually like being cold. I expressed my surprise at her choice of location and her response - it'll be ok Mum it's a different type of cold! Happy 4th July

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, I love travel questions. I've been to three out of the four on your list (Disney World is the only one I've missed, though I've been to Disneyland). My personal choice would be a revisit to Hawaii, where I always wished I'd been able to spend more time, but if you've never been, I think the Alaska cruise would maybe be the best. I did two summer seasons cruising in Alaska, and despite the rubbish weather (it was a bit like being at home!) the scenery is just stunning and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete